Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Mortality

This last month has been a little tough. I started a new job which is always a little stressful, Mike had two huge projects to finish, and Ev is just busy being Ev. But all that doesn't even compare to the last two weeks.

It was two Sunday's ago and I was is in the kitchen finishing my mother-in-law's cake. It was her birthday and as soon as I was done we were on our way down south. With powdered sugar on my hands I answered a phone call that stopped my heart. We were being called to Primary Children's Hospital. Mike's 15 year-old cousin Cameron was in the PICU because of an accidental drug overdose. We have spent most of our time down in Riverton or at Primary Children's Hospital since then. (The Earnhart blog is http://7earnharts.blogspot.com/)

It would be wrong to say that the family will be okay. A part of them is missing now and even me, who hasn't known Cameron for very long, can sense the place where he used to sit and won't again. Cameron was funny. He really was. I always saw him with a smile on his face and the love that I saw him show his sisters always made me wish that I had had an older brother. We will miss you Cameron. And I hope you know that you were liked by many, and loved by many more.

Parallel to this sad event was my mother-in-law's birthday. She was turning '29'...again. And I made her a cake. Her favorite color is purple. And she would have liked a spice cake. But someone, I'm not naming names, told me to make a strawberry cake for her. I thought the whole thing was a surprise until she requested a spice cake and then amended it to a chocolate/strawberry cake. It was amazing if I do say so myself. It was good to spend that Sunday evening with family. We all needed something sweet. Pictures below.

1 comment:

DaBlairs said...

Meg, the cake was amazing. you really do a good job. spending time with family was just what was needed for the day. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!