Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Emergency Room...maybe

I'm being over dramatic, but I believe that when one's child gets hurt the mother is allowed be dramatic after the child is safe. Enough ambiguity. Evelyn was in the family room at my mother-in-law's house. She has recently become an expert climber, even making it on top of our counter top high chairs. (Its pretty high up there for a child that's only 30 inches tall. Well, what we think happened was her attempt to climb onto the couch in the front room. All I saw was her holding her mouth and a red liquid. At first I thought that she had knocked her teeth back into her head but her lip was just swollen. She just has a cut on the inside of her mouth, upper lip. There was no trip to the emergency room but I was ready to go.

Crazy children trying to grow up and do big kid things. Mike and I talked about it last night as we went to bed. I'm sure that most parents feel this at some point, but there was just a moment of utter helplessness. I couldn't stop the pain immediately and it broke my heart. That is one of the most horrible feelings in the world. Our consolation though is that children are terribly resilient. She was just fine after a frozen go-gurt and a diaper change. She is healing just fine and has returned to her antics.

No comments: