Wednesday, October 20, 2010

And we're still here... 2

(Read the post before this first. It was to long with all my paragraph spaces. :)

Do I believe that she has been mean and derogatory towards the staff? Yes, I was a witnedd to it Evelyn and I were in the waiting room (Sihaya was so good and patient, love ya baby) when this lady came out of the back. She demanded a refund for the co-payment she had made for seeing the doctor and began to berate the receptionist for insinuating that the lady has sworn at her.

"So you're saying that I swore? Just said F,F,F,F at you? Well you're a liar, liar, liar!"

Another woman behind the desk then said that she had heard the angry woman swear at the receptionist too. A witness? Then the woman said something that kind of made me angry. "Well, with this Mexican lady sitting up here." The receptionist then insisted that the woman not call her a Mexican. The angry one was on her way out the door at the is point. "Well, you are a Hispanic right? A Mexican?" Then she repeated the word as if it was an insult and she were a little child taunting someone. "Mexican, Mexican..."

I felt bad for the receptionist, the other family in the room, and my Evie for having to see that. I had never seen such blatant racial slurring. I also felt bad for the angry woman. I don't know what life has thrown at her but she certainly made no friends in that office yesterday. I don't know if it was ignorance or just pure anger that made her lash out like that, but her actions will never be forgotten. She can't take it back or change how she behaved. I also feel like she should be ashamed of herself. No person should feel okay making another person feel the way she made the receptionist feel. Plus, she made us sit in that office for two hours! :)

This story has made me reflect on my actions and the hope that I never leave such a nasty after-taste in the mouths of those that I don't necessarily interact with but am around. And that the race of another person should never be a means of attack.

No comments: