Thursday, December 9, 2010

Burn Victim

So to continue the dinner-dumped-on-the-arms-and-face-terrible-burns story, Evie and I walked into daycare this morning and I was telling Lupita to just leave the band aids on when I got a good look at the skin and my heart dropped out of my chest. She had a huge blister ran the length of her middle right hand finger. The issue is that it is on the inside of her finger so it rubs against her pointer finger. Let's just say that the daycare providers have been turning green each day that I have shown them the burns, especially the finger length one.

I looked at it and immediately resolved to take her to a burn center. We got in at 1 today and they kindly told me that most of the burns we 2nd degree and the rest 1st. And guess what...2 nd degree burns hurt the worst. They're not mild enough to be healed in a day or two but not terrible enough to have killed the nerves. Poor baby! At least when she does something she does it all the way.

The appointment ended with us setting up another one in a week so that the center can monitor the finger-length burn and another one, a huge brown paper bag filled with two types of gauze and mesh sleeves, and a baby that would have made a good mummy for Halloween. We only have to change the dressing twice a day and extend and contract a few fingers a couple times a day so that the skin doesn't shrink and make mobility an issue. :) We're just happy dinner didn't end up on her head. Small blessings.

No comments: